The Preservation Hall Foundation Brass Bandbook is an online learning tool for educators, students, and jazz lovers alike. This essential collection from the New Orleans brass band repertoire includes transcriptions and information by the former leader of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, trumpeter Mark Braud.
The Brass Bandbook works in conjunction with song and instrument specific plans in the Preservation Hall Lessons collection. Traditional techniques and historical background add creative context when performing New Orleans music traditions. Explore the full Brass Bandbook or Song Selections below to learn more.
The complete Brass Bandbook is available on the Preservation Hall Foundation website or on the page linked below. See the “Song Selections” to explore individual songs and resources.
On the pages linked below, reference materials including scores and individual instrumental parts for each song are downloadable and free to use as long as credit is given to the Preservation Hall Foundation on any programs or written materials promoting the performances.
- Bourbon St. Parade Bandbook
- Lesson Plan: Bourbon Street Parade
- Just A Closer Walk With Thee Bandbook
- Lesson Plan: Just a Closer Walk with Thee
- Lil’ Liza Jane Bandbook
- Down by the Riverside Bandbook
- Didn’t He Ramble Bandbook
- Lord, Lord, Lord Bandbook
- I’ll Fly Away Bandbook
- Joe Avery’s Piece Bandbook
- Paul Barbarin’s Second Line Bandbook
- Old Rugged Cross Bandbook
- By and By Bandbook
- Do Whatcha Wanna Bandbook
Mark Braud, Writer and Content Creator